Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Spiritually Fed

When is the last time President Hinckley and President Packer showed up to your Stake Conference? For me it was this last weekend! Okay so it was a region-wide broadcast and 107 stakes had the same experience, but it was still awesome!

Saturday night was the adult meeting with our local leaders and all the talks were on adversity. Some things that touched me:
*if there was no night, there would be no day, nor would we ever see the stars and the moon
*even some of the Savior's prayers were not answered, but He always responded with "Not My will, but Thine"
*"when upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed, when you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, count your many blessings, name them one by one"
*take your trials to the scriptures and when you've finished reading, they'll be a little lighter
*bear other's burdens while you are suffering and stay anxiously engaged in a good cause
*in the end, really ALL IS WELL
I have had a rough few weeks, but especially had a rough morning so it was definitely what I needed to hear.

Sunday was great too, it was like General Conference all over again!
Neil L. Anderson-Jesus says, 'SLOW DOWN', we need to seek quiet and meaningful experiences that feed our souls, slow down by 1. treating our Sabbath more like the Sabbath and 2. replace some leisure activities with temple worship.
Cheryl Lant-align your priorities with the Lord's and take His side on every issue, a testimony of Christ is the only thing that will help us win the battle
Boyd K. Packer-do not fear because fear is the opposite of faith, the work is not finished and we can expect full and righteous lives ahead, "The Lord doesn't balance His books in October"-the small things required of us may seem less productive immediately but as time goes on, you will realize they are the eternal things
Gordon B. Hinckley-work on companionships of love and trust, make our homes better by 1. having mutual respect for each other, stop looking for faults and start looking for virtues, 2. having a soft answer, work on disciplining yourself, 3. having financial honesty, and 4. having family prayer

The closing song was one of my all-time favorites--"with Faith in Every Footstep we follow Christ our Lord." If I increase my faith, the other things I want to work on will come quickly and more naturally....what an incredible blessing. I guess that's why faith is the first principle of the gospel, huh!?

7 comments:

Josh & Megs said...

How neat!!! I love the key points you wrote down!

clay and jordan said...

Thanks for taking the time to share this with everyone, Beckster! What great insights!

WX Ences said...

First off I have to say what GORGEOUS pics you posted in your first blog! I love the fall colors! Beautiful, really beautiful.
I'm so glad to see your blog and it's great to be back in touch! Joe was looking through the pics on your facebook with me the other day. Joe said he'd forgotten how awesome you were (that is a compliment, not at all derogatory)! The pic of you pushing the old wagon wheel over the boy made us both laugh! It was perfect!
Things here are great! Joe's started his own business and travels almost every week from Mon-Fri. He's in ID now. He loves being his own boss though and he has done really well for himself. The traveling sucks, but we're pretty use to it now. He's trying to cut back and has been taking off a week or two when he can.
I'm still at home with the kiddos. They are so grown up. Clay is in 1st grade and loving it. He and Quin are in Karate and just got their blue and yellow belts. Quin is a pretty funny kid. He's very sneaky and we're convinced he knows a lot more than we give him credit for. Ali is a handful. I get the feeling I'll be getting a lot of gray hairs because of her...Oh well, it's a small price to pay, right?! Jacko is amazing. He is the best baby. You'd love him. He is so darn cute and tons of fun. He's doing the army crawl and is into everything, he's growing up so fast.
I am serving as the ward's Activities Committee Chairperson. It sucks. I hate being in charge. I hate calling people and giving out assignments even more! I keep telling Joe I need to learn whatever Heavenly Father wants me to learn from this calling so I can get a different one (is that bad?)! I was the Primary Pres for the past two and a half years and that wasn't all bad. I LOVED working with the kids, but the parents were tough. People can be pretty stupid when it comes to their children. Oh well, to each his own.
Goodness, this is like a novel! I'll save some for later!
-Audri

Julie Lewis said...

I loved stake conference too! I am glad you took notes so I could remember some of that stuff!

Julie Lewis said...

I loved stake conference too! I am glad you took notes so I could remember some of that stuff!

Julie Lewis said...

I like to post lots of times.

clint-o-bean said...

It is fun to read your summary of what sounds like a great stake conference. Thanks for sharing it.