Monday, November 5, 2007

For Sale

I was in Provo this weekend and was driving in a residential neighborhood. As I turned a corner, I saw two little girls jump up from where they had been sitting on the sidewalk and frantically begin waving an 8.5" x 11" paper sign at me. My first thought was "Lemonade in November!?", but as I slowed down and read the sign I laffed out loud. "PAINTED ROCKS, 50 CENTS." I stopped at the curb, looked at the selection of painted rocks lined up on the sidewalk, decided I really didn't have a preference for painted rocks, and told them to pick me the prettiest one. They picked me a really ugly one so I looked and said, "OOOOhhhh! How about that pretty pink one on the end?!" They picked it up, let me admire it for a moment and I told them that was the one I wanted. They said together, very professionally, "That will be 50 cents, please." I'm not going to lie--I showed off that rock for the rest of the evening bragging about my incredible purchase of the day! I'm seriously considering stealing their idea and selling painted rocks myself... it sounds like a booming business! :)

7 comments:

M said...

I can't help but laugh because I totally did this when I was younger!!! Maybe it's a provo thing?

clay and jordan said...

Ahhh one of the many joys of living in Provo...seriously weird kids. :)

Josh & Megs said...

that was so nice of you! you should post a pic of your rock! The word on my poster just says 'Baby', hoping we have one next year! there is also one that says 'adoption' because I hope to one day.
I would just post the "tagged" thing as a post, rather than a comment, that way you can tag others!

WX Ences said...

Joe did a lemonade stand as a kid once and not ONE person stopped and bought lemonade...needless to say, we stop for a lot of lemonade. Some of it has been pretty gross too!
Anyhow, Joe would be very impressed. I must say, however, that I've never heard of painted rocks being sold curbside. How many do you think they sold? Could competition in the painted rock industry cause prices to drop? I'm very intrigued!

WX Ences said...

LOL!!! Your comment made me laugh so hard...
I will definitely have to try the galoshes and capris...I'm not sure I'm quite cool enough to pull it off, but that's all in a persons head anyways - right?!
I've been using Acrylic paints...crappy Walmart acrylics. They probably aren't the best for long term durability, but they're inexpensive and washable (great for kids)! I've been laminating the pics once we've finished to prolong their life expectancy...hopefully that helps.

Wyatt & Brittney Checketts said...

Ha! Do you remember that one time we were going to an Estate sale in the avenues? You always were looking for a steal of a deal. Anyway, you put your hand on my butt and asked if I wanted you to move it, when I said yes, you started making circles on cheeks! I still use that one ya know!

Lara said...

Interesting to know.