Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Anatomy of PEACE: Resolving the Heart of Conflict

A friend suggested the book “The Anatomy of Peace” by the Arbinger Institute to me. It was incredible. It was all about how we see and treat other people. It gave me some questions to ask every time I meet someone. Such as:

*What are this person's or people's challenges, trials, burdens, and pains?

*How am I, or some group of which I am a part, adding to these challenges, trials, burdens, and pains?

*In what other ways have I or my group neglected or mistreated this person or group?

*In what ways are my better-than, I-deserve, worse-than, and must-be-seen-as boxes obscuring the truth about others and myself and interfering with potential solutions?

*What am I feeling I should do for this person or group? What could I do to help?


Every time we have a prompting to do something we can either betray or honor the sense. I hope to become better at honoring the sense so that I don't have to rationalize my actions.

I highly suggest this book... it is full of goodness!

3 comments:

clay and jordan said...

Clay and my dad have both read this book and LOVE it. They couldn't stop talking about it with each other! I think I'm next on the list of people to soak it up. I could probably use the help!

carolynsfo said...

Becky, thanks for this post. Very informative. I am a student of the Arbinger's work. It is extremely life changing. Once you get the principles, it is hard to "be" any other way.

Also, check out Leadership and Self-Deception, their first book.

Peace, Carolyn

clint-o-bean said...

I love that you read this book! Now, if you would like another incredibly insightful book - "The Peacegiver" explains (also in a story format) how all of this applies to the atonement.