Monday, January 28, 2008

A Legacy of Faith and Service



When I heard the news last night, I was SO sad until I realized that President Hinckley was now reunited with his beautiful, inspiring wife Marjorie. I can only imagine him running up to her and embracing her. I will miss him so much, but am so happy to know he is reunited with the love of his life. I am excited for the future of the church.


On the radio this morning I heard two quotes that made me laff. He said, "They call these years the 'golden years', but I would say they are laced with LEAD!" And when someone asked him about the church run by a 'bunch of old guys', President Hinckley responded, "I tell them they're not much to look at; but they're all the Lord has!"


And just a thought about death I have always loved from Marjorie:
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."


May we all strive to live a life as fulfilling and selfless and love-filled as they did.

6 comments:

Shan&Andrew said...

Becky, I love that last quote from Pres. Hinckley's wife! He'll be greatly missed...

Dawn said...

Thanks Becky!! It's wonderful to know that he's happy with his sweet wife. We have a great future as members of the church. I can't wait to see where we'll go next!!

Aliese Fry said...

I have to say that's one of my favorite "Marjorie" quotes. I'm so happy that they can be together again. I don't even want to imagine what life would be like without a spouse.

DaNae said...

I just love Pres. Hinckley!! I didnt know that you had a blog, but I have been browsing it for the last few minutes! It looks like you are having some good times.

LeBaron Family said...

What a wonderful post!

clint-o-bean said...

I also like the quotes that you picked. And what a beautiful funeral today too! It is amazing how much of an impact one man can have on so many, simply by trying his best to give his life to God.