Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Funeral

I REALLY enjoyed President Hinckley’s funeral. It was a cold day, but I felt nothing but warmth from the proceedings.

I took many notes on things that impressed me. These are things I’ve learned from President Hinckley that I hope I can take into my life:
* Be a strong link between the past generations and our future generations. Don't be the weak link.
* Believe in growth. Growth only comes with faith, courage, discipline, hard work, and the Lord's help.
* Believe in miracles!
* Although President Hinckley mourned for his wife so much, he went to the Lord and let compassion for others fill in the gap.
* Bring optimism to even the worst situations! He would always says, "Oh, things will work out."
* Choose to be true to covenants.
* Have so much faith in your heart that there is no room for fear.
* Desire to bless ordinary people with opportunities.
* ”Forget yourself and go to work!”

President Hinckley chose to consecrate his life to the Lord. He chose to do his best. He chose to go forward with faith. He chose to get the gospel down into his heart. If we try to live the same, the best can be yet to come and our lives can be similarly blessed. Everything about him continues.
May we move forward and try in every way to bring honor to his name. We can stand a little taller and give our best trying to wear out our life in His service. What a joy it will be to be able to live with him again and 'walk the halls of eternity together'.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks Becky!! It was a wonderful funeral and I feel truly blessed to be a member of the church while this great man led us. I'm excited for the future to see what we can do with President Monson's leadership. Watch out world!!! HERE WE COME!!!!

Colby and Meredith Christensen said...

Thanks for sharing the things you have learned from our great prophet! I am looking forward to where we as a church will go with President Monson as our new prophet.

WX Ences said...

I had to catch up, again, on your posts.

1st - the quote you posted about Marjorie Hinckley and her view on death was WONDERFUL! I couldn't have put it better myself. Thank you for reminding us of that.

2nd - I've never, in my short 27 years, been to a concert. I've been to the symphony a number of times, but no concerts(....this is were you cry for me and remember me the next time you get tickets to one)!!!
Oh, and the cowboy was GROSS!! I'm not much of a cowboy person, and I think cowboys like him are the reason why!

3rd - I love your thoughts on the funeral. Joe and I were downtown the evening of the viewing and thought about stopping, but there were so many people we didn't think the kids would survive if we were gone that long...oh well. We have very fond memories of his life and the legacy he left. Hopefully, we'll all be able to learn from his example and be better people because of it!

Aliese Fry said...

Hah! Thanks, Becky! I hadn't even noticed. Apparently there are times when I type that my eyes can't catch up with my fingers. You're awesome.