Thursday, June 12, 2008

Abu Simbel

So you might be stuck reading my memories for the next week or so... I hope you don't mind. :)

I didn't realize it at first, but Egypt is HUGE. The only way to get to this temple is to fly the luxurious (fyi, that's sarcastic) EgyptAir on three separate flights totaling about three hours airtime.

Abu Simbel was my second favorite thing I saw in Egypt. I was in complete awe at the detail, the size, the floor to ceiling carvings, etc of this temple... one that was built over 3,200 years ago! Our temples have many similarities. There are rooms you have to go through to get to a final room and as you move rooms, the floor slants upwards. It was all really interesting and symbolic to me. The time, effort, and detail that went into this temple was incredible. If fact, it was so technically constructed that only on Feb 22 and Oct 22 (solstice days) the sun reaches all the way back to the last room lighting four gods.





In the 1960's, after the construction of the Aswan Dam, the water started rising and would have covered it. The decision to move it was made and they marked every stone and took it apart one by one and reassembled it 200 feet above its original site!







I did get my camera taken away from me by an Arab man because I was taking pictures of something I wasn't supposed to, but I just grabbed it back from him! Men in dresses don't scare me! No one on our tour could believe I would grab it back... neither could I; I think it was just impulse!


Anyway, it is huge and your jaw practically hits the floor when you see it. I circled myself in the picture so you can get an idea of how big it was.

5 comments:

Aliese Fry said...

Can I just say that I LOVE that you took your camera back!?!? That's great. Show the Arab man who's boss!!!

Chanelle said...

Wow! That is sooo neat you have been to Egypt! Some people in my husbands class got to go and brought back a couple souvenirs for him. Way cool! Love the pics!

Julie Lewis said...

It is crazy that it has been a year! I would love to go there someday!

Sarah said...

how great it must have been to actually get to see those things in real life. keep the reminiscing coming!

Matthew and Hillary said...

Wow Becky! I'm amazed that you did that. I had no idea that they moved the whole thing! That's pretty crazy!!