Monday, August 18, 2008

Mt. Timp

We took a much-needed break from Club Wed plans and decided to hike Mount Timpanogus!

We started around 5 am and watched a little bit of the sunrise.

It's a GORGEOUS hike. SO many waterfalls...

And random fields of lush flowers past your knees... Or maybe that was because we got off the path by accident... :)

After a few hours, we reached the base of the summit. What a pleasant lodge to greet us!

And then the long, hard part began... walking across broken rocks for a couple hours.
You climb from the left side of the picture across the rocks and snow all the way to the right side right side of the picture, then go across the lower 'saddle part' then ascend up the next section and then up to the top!

We were lucky enough to have some mountain goats to hang out with!
After braving the saddle, we started up to the top of the top through pleasant switchbacks made of broken pieces of rock.
See that little cone thing? The top is finally in view! Too bad it's still like an hour away!!!
Once we got there though, the view was FANTASTIC!!!



After enjoying the view for about an hour it hit me that now I had to hike down. Unhappy thoughts for sure. Aaron really wanted to slide down the glacier and although I didn't want to go down the glacier, I REALLY didn't want to go back the way we had come. So I consented. It may look short, but trust me, it is NOT short.
My main reason for not wanting to go down was because I could tell someone was hurt. I had been watching them for about an hour and noticed that they were still not moving any farther down the glacier. Aaron was trying to think positive thoughts like that maybe they were making a snowman or something. :) (I made that up... but to put it simply, he wasn't nearly as worried as me!) Right as we started to slide down we heard a really loud noise, looked up and saw Life Flight! At that point I was very unhappy about sliding down the glacier. It did make for some dang cool shots though... :) So here is the copter lowering the MedicMan in red down to the group.
Almost there! (Note: we are obviously getting closer and closer to these people while he's coming down. Maybe I should have asked for their email address to send them the pics... I'm sure they'd want to make a scrapbook page about this later!)


It turns out the dude had a broken leg with a compound fracture. I felt so bad for him. I was sliding past him as they re-broke it to stabilize him and he screamed so loud. I can't even imagine what pain he must have been in.

We made it to the end of the snow after awhile. I'm glad I did it, but I was SO miserable. My hands were numb after being on it for a minute and we were on it for WAY too long in my opinion. They had finished stabilizing him we heard the copter coming back. They strapped the hurt dude across MedicMan's lap and then flew him over us to the meadow where the shelter from a previous picture was.

To the left is where the copter was. I'm not sure why I didn't take a picture with it in...
Gorgeous though, eh? CRYSTAL clear water.

And then came another four or so hours of walking back down. At least it was gorgeous.
I'm SO glad I did that hike; I've wanted to do it for years. It is a hike and a half though. I think we were on the mountain for about 10 hours! 12 miles baby! It was so wonderful to take some time off and just do something completely us!

14 comments:

Jessie said...

This really is such a fun and beautiful hike--we backpacked it way back in the day (like before I knew you back in the day... wow.), so we took it over a few days, which probably made it a bit easier. Also, we did it a little earlier in the year (maybe July?), so instead of crossing over the rocks, we did more on snow, which was probably more dangerous, but not quite as difficult. Still, though, I loved the hike--the meadows, and the beautiful lake at the bottom of the glacier make it all worth while. We also slid down the glacier, but we all made sure to wear a couple layers, with jeans on top to keep our speed down a little. I thought it was fun, but maybe I was too young to realize the danger? Definitely good times, though.

DaNae said...

Dang, that is pretty intense. I can't get over what a perfect couple you two make.

The Bigger Family said...

way to go becky!! this reminds me of a hike my french family had me go on with them just a few days before coming back to america...they didn't bother to tell me how long it was and I was pretty miserable; it was all up hill! i'm still a bit bitter, ha. but they are always pretty! Mt.Timp is prettier to me though! your pics are gorgeous. i feel bad that you had to hear that guy scream, that would be tough to watch. I hope he's okay. i wonder if there is away you can figure out how to get the pics to them?!

Colby and Meredith said...

I can't believe you still slid down the glacier after you saw the guy was injured! That would have freaked me out! Gorgeous pics! And as always...cute couple.

Aloha_Misty said...

SWEET PICTURES! I have slid down the glacier before off of timp. I would have to say it is the best way down but it did hurt my tooshy for a week. :) I am glad you didn't need to be rescued after your experience! Good luck with the continual wedding plans. It will be well worth it. I just wish I could be there!

Aliese said...

Wow, you're a trooper! Your pictures are great, and yes-you totally should have gotten an e-mail address! I would've wanted some hardcore documentation if it were me.

Angie said...

Okay, so when I used to hike timp every year, it was 19 miles! What trail were you on? And is the toilet room with no door still at the lake? My favorite! We attack Mt St Helens next Monday- wish us luck!

Matthew and Hillary said...

Wow! I've wanted to hike Timp ever since I first saw it when I arrived at BYU and still have yet to have the chance to do it. Someday...

Emily said...

I just figured out who Aaron looks like (although you won't know because you never watch TV!). Anybody remember the French dude that was on Step by Step for a while? I can't remember his name... seems like it was Jean Pierre or something like that... but anyway, Aaron could be his TWIN! You can totally see it in the 3rd pic of you guys hugging.

M said...

oh that's beautiful! i've always wanted to hike it but honestly don't know if i would make it!!!

WX Ences said...

I've been to the caves a couple of times, but have never braved the hike to the top...maybe some day!

Love the pics, definitely an experience you'll never forget!

Emily said...

Wow, you are so brave! The views were amazing. I love that I was able to join you with out doing all the hard work! Thanks for sharing. It was quite the adventure!

clay and jordan said...

Holy moly. You are such a trooper! I don't know that I could ever pull that hike off. But what beautiful pictures!! How was Boise? I can't wait to hear all about it!

Jennifer said...

Hey you always have the coolest craziest experiences! I'm so glad that it wasn't you or Aaron with the broken leg! Your day is coming up I wish I could be there! I am waiting for an announcement I'm excited to see them!