Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Honeymooners!

It took us almost four months, but we went on our honeymoon! We had wanted something exotic like San Antonio or Tucson, but practicality and finances settled on St. George! It ended up being great!

We drove down on Tuesday the 30th and our first stop was at the temple. It was so cool to be able to go inside! I've always dreamed of going on vacations and attending temples and now it's possible!




We came out in the dark and it was fun to see all the lights! They had a manger scene too! That night we went to dinner at Chili's and then got together with one of my fave girls from Interior Design, Hayley and her hubby Ben! We had a great time chatting it up and meeting each other's hubbies and all that good stuff.

The next morning we went to the Tabernacle. It totally looks like a church in Boston to me.


We had a great tour and learned about this freestanding spiral staircase that could be removed from the building and stand straight up in the street! The Nauvoo Temple has one that is like 5 stories high though that we got to walk down after being sealed... I think it beats it. :)


Isn't the inside BEAUTIFUL? I loved to see all the Christmas decor! The wooden balcony chairs are originally from the Salt Lake Temple! Too cool.



Here is a close up of the chandelier. It's made exactly like the original. Can you spot the S at very top and the G under the lamps? S G for St. George. Way cool.
We then walked up to Brigham Young's Winter home. We saw Brigham on the way up so I thought I'd catch up on world news with him.


We took a tour of his home. (I love this house. It's awesome in the first place, but with the garland and ribbons, it just melts me! I'm a sucker, what can I say!)

Here is his original bed and cane!

Then we went back to the temple and saw a few really awesome movies that I would highly suggest to those who have the opportunity. Then we went to Jacob Hamblin's, Mr. Indian Friend, home.
He was a very prayerful man so they arranged the chairs around the dinner table to show that they would always kneel and pray before meals.
Again, my obsession with the Christmas decor everywhere... isn't this tree adorable!? I love the Indian dolls at the bottom. Some historical Christmas display person rocks.
We met up with Hayley again that night and she showed us around some homes she's decorated. Only $1.4 mil, $2 mil, and $4 mil!!
The backyard of one of the houses looked like this:



Do you recognize it from any movie? The High School Musical fans will recognize that it's exactly where #2 was filmed.
In honor, Aaron did a "Bet On It" pose and slapped his reflection in the water. I hope some of you think this is funny... we sure did.
This was the Master bed in the $2 mil house. I love the colors and want to make something with them.
We rung in the New Year with Hayley and Ben and a couple of their friends and then left at like 12:05 to hit the sack... we were tired!
The next morning we got up and went on our shopping spree! We went to the mall and outlets and got Aaron a couple pairs of Christmas shoes and exchanged a few Christmas items and stuff. We did very well and were super happy with our luck. After eating at In 'N Out (Aaron's request) we headed to Snow Canyon State Park. It was BEAUTIFUL. We took a couple of hikes. Check out the beauty.




We climbed a "Cinder Cone" which is like an old volcano or something. We couldn't find any signage so we just picked the tallest volcanoish thing and climbed it. :)
This picture below is after we got down, but the volcanoish thing behind is what we climbed. It looks small but it's not. And we just blazed our own trail through like eight inches of snow. It was intense and long and cold.

I'm not sure that it was worth it, but it's all good. :) We can still say we were idiots and did it! Here is us climbing/sliding back down. You can see how dirty and wet I was in after it was over in the above picture.


We probably should have taken a hint from how muddy it was when we left the car at the side of the road, but a bit of mud, snow, and lava rocks won't slow us down!
And a couple gorgeous sunset pictures from the way out...



For some reason we thought places would be open on New Years but we were wrong. EVERYthing was closed. Except Subway and we got in there at 7:25 and it closed at 7:30! Since everything was closed after that we just chilled and watched "Emperor's New Groove." CLASSIC!
The next morning we drove down to Las Vegas! We ate at a place that had been recommended to us called "Bahama Breeze". It was AMAZING. Check out the display of the food! It was dried banana chips in cinnamon potatoes. Seriously probably the best restaurant food I've ever had.


Then we went to the Las Vegas Temple!




It's SO beautiful and so much better than the strip. :) If any of you have the chance to go there, go!... the Celestial Room is AMAZING.
We went to the Outlets after that and got a couple more amazing deals. We found that we came with seven pairs of shoes and came back with twelve! Funny thing... only one of the five was mine! But hey, that was Aaron's Christmas present from his family so we were stoked we found such awesome deals so he could get so many! And then we checked out the whole strip. I can't believe how SLOW that city is. The traffic lights and freeways are seriously horrible... they need the Olympics to get a new freeway or something! Anyway, we pretty much liked everything but the slowness and smoke and the nastiness. We really enjoyed the architecture.
I loved the Venetian architecture...
and the Christmas decor in the hotels. These presents were in the Bellagio and are made of 1/2" glass squares. Intense!
Our absolute favorite was the Bellagio fountains. We saw four songs but I wish we could have just had them go constantly all night!

We got back into St. George really late or early depending on how you look at it! On Saturday we slept in, did a couple more shopping errands and then drove home. It was a great trip and went all too fast, but it was so nice to finally go on a honeymoon and spend 24-7 together. Hooray for vacations!

A huge thank you to those who blessed us on our little trip and saved us SO much money through lodging and food... mainly Mom, Aliese, and Hayley. THANKS.

13 comments:

*Liese said...

No problem! You're definitely welcome ANY TIME. Hopefully next time we can play with you. ;) And that "thing" you climbed is a dormant volcano; a REAL one! Pretty sweet, eh? I especially enjoy the fact that you think it's gonna be hollow, but it's filled itself in to look like a large crater. The Bellagio fountains are definitely my favorite Las Vegas attraction as well; I still haven't been to the Vegas Temple though...Maybe one of these days. I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourselves and see so many awesome things!

Matthew and Hillary said...

I love going to temples on vacation, in fact, we found a place that does silver coin (probably not real silver) temple ornaments and we have one for every temple we've been to and done work in, it's pretty sweet. Yay for finally going on a honeymoon!! My honeymoon was definitely one of the best weeks of my life. I'm glad you guys got to go. Way to catch up Brigham on what's going on...very thoughtful.

Sarah said...

becky - sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you! i tried emailing carlie, but the email address i have for her doesn't work. :( if you figure out a way to get a hold of her, let me know!

love the honeymoon pics! looks like you guys had a great time. isn't it great to finally be able to go through all those amazing buildings that you've wanted to your whole life? that's how i feel, anyway. it's great to be married :)

Julie Lewis said...

How fun! Looks like you had a great time! And I love that picture when you said you were all muddy, it is really cute one of you two! This makes me want to go on a getaway--it may be a while for us though!

Mandy Torgrimson said...

What a fun trip! Hiking, Temples, History and Vegas! That sounds like an odd combination, but it makes me want to go to St. George too. I've been there, but never seen all of the history stuff...which is crazy because Jacob Hamblin is one of my ancestors!!! I guess I should go back to see all of that neat stuff!

Mike and Lisa said...

What a fun trip! I have to agree. the Las Vegas temple is by far one of the prettiest celestial rooms i've ever seen. We went to it on our honeymoon too!

DaNae said...

Strip=NASTY
Temple=Awesome

Vegas does have its perks, but it is mostly smokey, trafficy, and gross.I am glad you had a fab honeymoon.

Cami and Mitch said...

Becky-this post made me miss home! I miss St.George and trips to Las Vegas, especially the Bellagio fountains.

Jennifer said...

Becky I didn't realize that your trip down here was your honeymoon! I'm glad that I didn't get to see you then! It looks like you saw all the highlights around town! I love that you have a picture with Brigham Young, so do I! Except it's with my sister's on my 25th birthday and he had an ice cream cone smashed in his croch...grose! Looks like you had a blast!

David said...

Becky what a neat photo log of your honeymoon.....I missed the Prairie Breeze Motel shot though! You are a very creative person and you have a wonderful presentation style! Hope you future vacations are full of more temple memories and less mud! Both of you married well.....for time and all eternity!

Anonymous said...

Thаt is really fascinating, You aге a
νerу skilled blogger. I've joined your feed and sit up for looking for more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks

Have a look at my web site; Tens

Anonymous said...

Rіght herе iѕ the right web ѕite for everyone ωho
wіshеs to unԁеrstanԁ this topіс.
You unԁerstand so much іts almost hаrd to arguе with you (not that Ι really ωill need tο…ΗaHа).
Yοu ԁefіnіtеly put a fresh spin on
a topic whісh has been ԁiscussed foг a long time.
Gгeаt stuff, just excellent!

Alѕo vіsit my sitе: www.samstensunits.com

Anonymous said...

Нi, I do belіеve this is a grеat ѕite.
Ӏ ѕtumbleduрon it ;) I mаy rеturn once again sіnce і
have bοoκ-marκed іt. Money and frеedom iѕ the gгeatest wаy tο сhangе, maу
you bе rich and сontinuе tο guіde othеr ρеople.


Αlso visіt my weblog dallas ft worth seo company