Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring Break Lovin'!

Last weekend we were able to join my family for a wonderful Spring Break! We left Friday afternoon and drove down to Capitol Reef National Park. Just a warning... this is definitely a picture-heavy post. :)



Our adventure started with the guy below. Know how you are going 65 mph and then you come to a small town and slow down to 35 mph for like 10 seconds while you pass through? We did it and came around the corner to a cop car. Even though I was totally okay on the speed limit I always know coppers are out to get me so I froze up. I made sure to not make eye contact as we passed and then Aaron and my bro Dan busted out laffing. "He was the ugliest ever!!... Did you see his stash?!... He was fake!!" I couldn't believe it and we turned around and pulled up next to him and took a picture. Thank goodness he was fake... how awkward would that have been? "Uhhhhhhh... hi sir.... uhhh... you're really ugly... I mean... where is the closest... uhhh... gas station?..."

That evening and next morning we drove through the park enjoying the beauty.





Check out this funky tree!



Fabulous petroglyphs...

Atypical signs...

Shiny, happy people...



Aaron, Dan, Jen, and I went a six-mile, pretty easy hike to Calf Creek Falls.



Besides the neat views, there were some sweet rock formations to check out.
Swiss cheese rocks.

Streaks formed by manganese and iron.
The end view. Not too shabby! We didn't stay long though because it was cold!

My ears were burning with the cold so I took the hood off my coat and wore it. Yes, I do realize I looked ridiculous and found joy in hearing the foreigners laff at me. Aaron called me his astronaut. :)

Now let's take a drive!


Then we came to a Scenic Byway. I don't know that it has a specific name but it was on the way to Escalante State Park. It was INCREDIBLE. HUGE dropoffs on both sides of the road. It was gorgeous and so inspiring. I especially love how you can see the trees winding with the river in the picture below. I bet it looks way cool in the summer.




We went to some Anasazi ruins...


In the town of Escalante we saw this hottie...
I'm thinking about hooking her and the cop up. Rar!

And this was in some dude's front yard...
There's nothing like a homemade cannon!

We went into Escalante State Park and took a hike. It started sleeting (snow pellets not flakes, so I'll call it sleeting) and it was interesting to watch the storms come in!


On the hike you go past lots of petrified wood! It's SO interesting and colorful! I'm sitting on the largest piece they've found.

This tree is too cool. The first view is the side view... like a couple feet wide. The next picture is from the side... only like a couple inches! I wonder how it happened!

Sunday we went to church in a little town called Tropic. Then we read the story of the Ressurection and waited anxiously for the Easter Bunny to come! Once he did we all acted very mature... :) We spent the rest of day in the hotel playing games and just enjoying being together.

Monday morning we took off for Bryce Canyon. We enjoyed the scenery.

If you look closely, you can see trees on the top... sweet!








We took a hike down into the "hoodoos". These switchbacks are called Wall Street.

This is what it looks like when you're at the bottom of the hoodoos!

I loved this tree. Look how tall its grown to have light. Just like us... we need to seek for light.

We walked around down at the bottom for a little bit.

And then back up different switchbacks! (Take note of the skinny rock sticking straight up. I call him Moroni. He'll be in a later picture.)

Looking down the switchbacks...
And some views nearing the end of the trail...


This is Thor's Hammer. Not sure who Thor is, but the lucky guy got this.

On the right is the Pinaccle (my Moroni)... so unique and incredible.

And as a last little treat...
Here is a picture of me posing in the way that I saw so many foreigners doing. I thought I should follow. :)

We took off for home after that. It was such a wonderful weekend. A needed break from work and school. Being with family. Soaking in nature. If you've ever heard the old country song "God Blessed Texas," I'd have to change it and say that God Blessed Utah!

14 comments:

Mandy Torgrimson said...

Awesome Trip!!! Wes and I need a break ... maybe we should follow in your footsteps. By the way, we would love to have you guys up for a weekend!
Tara and Phil moved to Kansas City, so we don't have them as an excuse to come down that way anymore, but we'll come anyway some time.

*Liese said...

I love your pictures! I haven't been there in YEARS, but the switchbacks, funky tree, and rock formations brought back memories. I love your random mannequins; how creepy are they?!?

Josh and Megs said...

Those pictures are so great! I want to go now! Beautiful beautiful! I loved that squiggly tree. And freezing ears suck, so amen to the hood on your ears!

The Williamsons said...

That looks like so much fun! Beautiful pictures! That fake cop is funny! Guess they are trying to save money. ;)

Julie said...

This looks like so much fun! It reminds me of my honeymoon. We camped in Calf Creek one night--it was a little bit disastrous because we were using brand new camping stuff and didn't get in until 11 pm! Good Memories though. Anyway, we did that same hike to Calf Creek Falls, it is a fun little hike! I loved this post though, brings back the good memories!

Sarah said...

Very beautiful! I love our state!!

Tannie Datwyler said...

That was a VERY enjoyable post!! The pictures were lovely - you take great pictures of scenery, mine always turn out TERRIBLE - there is always a person in my pictures to save them at least..... I especially loved the picture of the tree up the canyon - how beautiful and tall.

I laughed about the cop car guy, that really is so hick and FUNNY!! And seriously, a manaquin with a head? I never see those anymore.

About Thor... you are being sarcastic, right? Thor as in, the Saxon pagen god?

Angie said...

Man- it has been too long since I have gone sightseeing in Utah! It was fun to see pictures of Calf Creek Falls- that was such a fun hike (but we swam in the water and used the rocks to the right side as waterslides).
Looks like you had a great time!

By the way, we're in Utah for the next few weeks- you guys need to come party!

Lisa and Mike said...

Haha...oh you crack me up. I love the random pictures, homemade cannon, manneqins, funky trees, I love it! Looks like a fabulous weekend!

Sulane said...

Becky, looks like you guys had tons of fun. Janae and I lived in Tropic for like 6 months!!! We worked at the Hoo-Doos Restaurant right there and probably went to the same church you guys did!!! Crazy!

M said...

You guys go on so many awesome trips and are such good hikers at that. P.S. I need an update from you, how are ya???

Deann said...

That looks like such a fun trip! Matt and I went on that same hike in Bryce Canyon. It is so pretty there.

Emily said...

How fun, we need to go down there. Where do you stay? My husband would love it!

Shanna said...

BECKY-
I lovvvvvvvvveeeeeeee what you commented on Kim's blog. You said it so well and it made me feel proud and so happy to be married to my best friend-FOREVER! How cool is it that we get to spend a lifetime and beyond learning and growing together with the same person whom we love with all our hearts. For me, marriage is more about serving and helping my husband, than about my own personal needs and wants. I love it! Thanks for sharing your views and standing up for what we hold so sacred-eternal marriage!! Woot Woot!