Monday, June 15, 2009

Bring on the Rain?

So we've been getting insane amounts of rain (for Utah anyway) lately. It's pretty much rained every day for the past two weeks for at least an hour a day. I'm okay with rain for the most part... but mainly only those crazy storms in July when it's hot and it comes so hard and then it's gone. But when our wedding day got rained out it changed my perspective on it... it's fun to watch the rain and remember HOW WET that day was and how things sure didn't turn out how we thought weather-wise! I'm pretty positive no one in Utah can have as rainy of a wedding day as we did though... in Utah it will always stop within a couple hours... in Nauvoo it never stopped! Anyway, so when that crazy heavy storm hit on Saturday afternoon I was enjoying watching it come down and I was telling Aaron how it was reminding me of how hard it was pouring when we left after the wedding dinner. After a little bit we saw this happening in our window wells...

(What a happy guy though! He sure seems to love the rain!) And here are a couple planters. I took this picture...

... and just a few seconds later took this one. It was at 3.5" and then within seconds the little glass things were covered. I started to get a little nervous but we still had over an inch before I thought we would need to get out there and bucket it out.

I called my dad and asked if they were getting rain and then said, 'gotta go' and hung up. While talking with him all the sudden I noticed that water was beginning to leak down the walls from under the window framing?! I definitely hadn't expected that... I was expecting it to hit the glass and then start leaking! (This is an 'after picture' but it shows the main leak from under the framing.)

I grabbed a bucket and yelled at Aaron in the other room that there was water leaking down the wall. I ran out our door to go up the stairs to get outside and there was water dripping all the way down them and a four foot puddle of wet floor at the bottom! Yikes! I ran up them and outside and jumped in the window well and started dumping buckets out of it. Aaron was inside holding rags under the leaks. The rags were getting soaked in seconds. I turned around in the well and noticed our bigger problem. This is a picture (from this morning... hence the dryness!) of the window well with the worst flooding. See the black hole with the grassy stuff out of it? That's a drain. There was about a foot of water covering this whole section and I had just ran around it not thinking much about it besides that there was a lot of water!

And now a look from inside... see the cracks behind Stovey? The water was GUSHING through those cracks from the cracks in the cement from the picture above = the bigger problem!

Once I realized that bucketing really wasn't going to help I screamed through the window for Aaron to move all the furniture and get outside. He threw it all out of the way and came out. I ran back inside to the custodial closet to get one of those huge brooms. I ran back out and Aaron grabbed the bucket and got in the window well and bucketed while I tried to sweep the HUGE puddle of water from above the drain. (I really wish I had pics of the action and totally thought about taking pics while this was happening, but it just seemed a bit inappropriate for me to run back in and grab the camera!) We did this for a couple minutes and luckily the landlord showed up. He ran inside, got a bucket and a snow shovel and came back out and helped us bucket and shovel the water away from the drain. He even jumped in the window well in totally nice shoes and all. I was SO glad he showed up! (Mainly so he'd believe the story!) I guess a guy from upstairs saw us bucketing and called him and he happened to be a few minutes away. Thanks to the guy, whoever he is! I don't know the timeframe of the whole thing... probably like 20 min or so and luckily the rain finally let up! We were SO soaked!

So the after-math:
Here's some of the quickly-moved stuff! And if you look at the wall you can see some of the drips coming down.

And some of the water:

Luckily this is our biggest puddle.

We also got some paint bubbles!

This one filled up like five times and was probably 4-5" out and tall! We later found another bubble leaking under a different window.

I'm just realllllllly glad we were there to see it... what if we would have been gone?! All-in-all it was kinda humorous! We had joked a couple days earlier about using a bucket to empty our window wells... we sure didn't expect we would ever do it!

Best part is the irony of the whole thing. I've been Spring Cleaning so just that morning I had pulled everything out, got rid of all the dust bunnies, washed the walls, put everything back perfectly... good times!

14 comments:

Matthew and Hillary said...

Crazy rain story! Glad you were there...wish I had this on video...it would probably be hilarious now that it's over.

*Liese said...

Oh gosh, Becky-I'm sorry! That's never fun. My in-law's basement floods constantly and we've helped them a few times. Way to be a quick thinker though and catch the problem before it was too late! And can I say how lucky you were to have your landlord come help?! That almost never happens.

Josh and Megs said...

oh my goodness that is crazy Becky!!! Where do you two live? We need to know that way when we hopefully move there we can come over and visit! :)
I have too many memories of cleaning the basement because it flooded..blahg! Way to have a good attitude about it!

Tannie Datwyler said...

Oh my goodness!! That is horrible. At least you have a good landlord!

Kristen Moss said...

WOW.

That is all I can really think to say!

Lee and Marie said...

What an adventure... That is crazy, I'm sorry. That is great your landlord was able to show up that quickly. Way to be positive and to act so quickly!

Sarah said...

That's a nice thing about renting at least you don't have to pay for the damage! I love the guy smiling in the window... so funny. The crazy things that happen! The weather should be turning around soon... I hope.

Angie said...

I love that you have such a good attitude about it! What an adventure!

Kimber said...

If it happens again.. Call me and I'll bring my floaties so we can go swimming!

Our family said...

I love your story and the positive attitude you have about the situation! You are such a crack-up!

Emily said...

Quite a story! I too had rain-soaked walls and carpet after our last few rainstorms but they were not nearly as exciting as yours. :) Mostly I just didn't want to close the windows because I absolutely love rain!

Emily said...

That is an awesome story! One time the rental house I was renting flooded in the basement! It was crazy! Glad you got it cleaned up! :)

LeBaron Family said...

Woowzer! Crazy! That's why we invest in renter's insurance!

I had water leak on me when I lived in Park Capitol. The ice up top was melting and I woke up with my bed wet and hearing a drip, drip drip to only find out I was right below the leak! Not a good way to wake up.

Deann said...

Aaahhh... great memories of your first home. LOL Glad your stuff is ok :)