Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Project #1

I was told by a few people who have graduated from the Accounting Program to expect constant homework once Aaron started school. I chose to believe them and I'm glad I did because it's true! I began making a list of stuff I wanted to do... such as finishing the wedding scrapbook, going through magazines (church-related and not) and keeping the good stuff, sewing, food storage, and cooking. Aaron often sees me in a mess and says, "Oh, you're working on another one of your projects, aren't you?" So now they're called my projects. :)

Here is "Project #1". (I'm fore-seeing a series...)
I have been trying to be all cool and get into food storage and have found these three fabulous websites:
http://funwithfoodstorage.net/
I found this page about building your own rotating can racks (http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/02/16/build-your-own-can-rotating-rack/) and seriously freaked out. They are so genius and cheap! I used their instructions and sizes for the most part, but did add a little bit of space in case I messed up. My first one was hot-glued and duct-taped but I decided they'd be stronger if I cut slits in the side to slide the cardboard into and then hot-glued them. I made the rest that way and think they'll last longer.

Here is what they looked like before I spray-painted them. (You definitely can leave them un-painted, but mine are out in the open so I felt slightly ghetto.)

And here is the finished product!

Cost? cardboard from dumpster diving :), duct tape, hot glue, a .96 cent can of spray paint, and a bit of time.

I'm totally asking for canned goods for Christmas... I can't wait to have these bad boys filled up! :)

20 comments:

Jessie said...

Umm, those are genius! Good work! I love the project thing--I've got a few of those going on myself right now. It's nice to have something to accomplish. :)

Emily said...

Exciting! Those are pretty nifty, too bad they would fall off the shelves in my pantry... and that's some nice photo cropping on the shelf shot, who does that for you? They're seriously talented. :D

Josh.Megs.Abigail said...

Becky those are awesome!!! You'll have to show me how to make them when we move there!!

Matt and Camille Tanner said...

Umm Becky? You are probably one of the coolest people I know. You are totally going to be a RS president someday. Seriously...you are doomed.

Sarah said...

That is pretty slick! I love that you went dumpter diving too.

*Liese said...

Those are pretty sweet! I may just have to enlist my husband to create them for me...

Matthew and Hillary said...

Those are awesome! I keep looking for ways to store my food storage better, but the ones you can buy are SO expensive. I love it!

Shanna said...

I wish we lived closer to each other. You're so rad.

Ashley Eaglin said...

Very smart idea!!

The Judd Family said...

That is totally awesome! I love the idea.

Lee and Marie said...

You're AMAZING! We should get together and you should teach me the ways! You seriously are so crafty!

Amy said...

You are so crafty and practical! Gosh, I love it! And you!

Julie said...

I think I will copy this! Awesome! And keep posting your projects!

delore said...

Yes, I too want to continue hearing about your projects. You have given me some really great ideas, and I totally used some of your tips from the cleaning post!

Aloha_Misty said...

Wow! I would to have you come stay with me for a week and use all your skills with vinegar and cardboard on us! I could sure use some of your nifty ideas!

Angie said...

You are such a genius! Love the ambition. I seriously need a rotating system like that. I'm looking forward to your future projects!

Kristen Moss said...

You are amazing!

Deann said...

Oh wow, I've looked at that site a hundred times, wishing I had the time to make those. Can I hire you?? I've got plenty of cardboard and some hot glue :)

Meg said...

Yay for projects! Those can holders look awesome.

Christiansen's said...

SO AMAZING!Love that idea. Way to have motivation to do it. I want to but who knows if I ever will