Monday, February 15, 2010

A Few Ounces Lighter...

Last week turned out quite unexpectedly!


I didn’t feel that great on Monday before and after our ultrasound off and on but assumed it was indigestion. I hurt pretty badly in my abdomen late Monday night but was able to sleep for the most part. I woke up Tuesday with a pain again but went to work still thinking nothing but indigestion. I didn’t feel well and threw up but that didn’t take my pain away. My lower abdomen was throbbing and growing harder and hurting more and more.


Aaron was at work until 11 and then would head down to Provo. I texted him and asked him to stop by quickly before driving down and give me a blessing to help it pass. He stopped by and after a few seconds of seeing me said, “We’re going to the doctor.” I told him no and that I was fine and that it was just indigestion. Thinking back, I looked ridiculous as I was bawling, writhing in pain, barely able to move, and telling him I was fine!


Luckily my doc is very close to my work. We drove there and I had Aaron run in and ask what they thought. I thought for sure they would say to wait it out. He came back out and said my doc was not there but that another nurse could see me. I hobbled in and they took me back. The pain came hard and then would relax and then would come again. The nurse came in off and on giving me blankets for warmth and water for dehydration and told me my doc who had just delivered a baby at the hospital would be back soon. She kept talking back and forth with my doc and came in again and felt my stomach and abdomen and then stuck her hand into my right side. I flinched like crazy. She left and came back and said that I was to go to the hospital, show up at Labor and Delivery, and they would be waiting for me. They were testing me for appendicitis.


We drove to the hospital, got to Labor and Delivery, and they gave me a wristband and a room. They came in and told me they would come get me for an ultrasound soon. My dad showed up soon and was there with us for the day which was wonderful.


The ultrasound people came and took me. They had me lay on a table and took the device many times along my right side jamming it in (ouch!) trying to find my appendix for about 15 min. I went back to my room and the surgeon’s assistant came after a bit and said they were unable to locate my appendix via ultrasound so a MRI had been ordered.


A bit later the MRI people came and took me there. That was a loud experience. :) They did give a cd of the images as a ‘keepsake’. Ha. It was mainly painless besides having to lay flat and still for so long.


A few hours later the surgeon and my doctor came and said the MRI showed my appendix was fine and that they refused to perform surgery because I was pregnant unless I threw up and got worse. They said they’d be back in a couple hours. I hadn't been allowed to eat or drink because I had surgery pending so they put an IV in. I was so dehydrated that they had three people try unsuccessfully to get it in. Finally they numbed my arm and then poked away as they wished!


Within a half hour I threw up! When they came back and heard that, the surgeon said, “I’m kind of mad at you right now!” He carefully reviewed the MRI results again and saw that they had found my appendix next to my colon and said that when the appendix is in that location in pregnant women that all the typical signs don’t show. (Like I could move my legs and that is not typical.) Right then everything changed and he said, “We’re taking you in for surgery in two hours. You and your baby are safer going in for surgery now than waiting to see what happens.”


We were scared and nervous and prayed like crazy for the Spirit to be with us and the surgeon.


At 1 a.m. they came and got me for surgery. I’ve never been in the operating room and it was scary to see all the prep and I just kept praying they’d put me out so I wouldn’t see it! But overall I felt very calm. Next thing I knew they were telling me to wake up and breathe. They had just pulled the breathing tube out and put the oxygen on my face and I couldn’t get air. I tried to be calm but I really couldn’t breathe and started throwing up. They put some anti-nausea stuff in the iv but it took a few minutes to get into me. I struggled for air and kept convulsing and finally the anti-nausea medicine got to me and I was able to breathe. I stayed in recovery for a bit and then went back to my room around 3 a.m. The next few hours they had to monitor me for contractions (the biggest fear). I did have some but luckily they subsided.


My mom came and stayed with us that morning and around noon we were allowed to go home. Of course I have incision pain (I have three of them; let me know if you want to see them!) :) , my throat hurt very badly for a day (I ate like 100 popsicles!), and my back and neck are very sore from all the hunching to compensate for the pain but all-in-all the recovery has gone remarkably well.


We were so well taken care of. Yes there was pain and fear, but overall, there was so much calm. The doctor’s office didn’t send me home and the hospital staff immediately took care of me. I felt so well-treated by almost everyone and genuinely felt cared for by people who had never seen me before.


More than anything, as I’ve reflected on the experience, I am overwhelmed by the tender mercies we’ve felt. I am a daughter of God and He was watching out for me, Aaron, and our little girl the entire time. He sent the right people and signs and also made sure we were cared for via calls, visits, and meals afterwards. We are so blessed.

37 comments:

Josh.Meagan.Abigail said...

BECKY! This is all so insane! I am happy that you are okay and that baby girl is well! Thank heavens the contractions didn't stick around! Show off your scars girl! ha. I'm so happy you were being watched over and everything went relatively quickly and well...seeing as we saw you the day before for the love! ha.
love ya!

Gage said...

I am so glad that everything is okay. THat's scary even when your not pregnant but even more scary when you are. Glad that all went well.

Chanelle said...

Wow! What a scare that could be. Glad to hear that everything is ok with the pregnancy and hope you recover soon from surgery. Saddened to hear all the pain you had to go through and the throwing up, but glad to hear things worked out.

Aloha_Misty said...

Oh my goodness Becky! What a shocker! I had to read the post super fast to make sure the baby was okay. How scary. I am glad you are home and okay!

*Liese said...

Holy smokes!!! I'm glad to hear things went so well--crazy scary though, I'm sure.

Matt and Camille Tanner said...

Hang in there sista. You rock.

Don & Sarah said...

I am so glad that you are doing okay, and that your recovery is going well, that sounds so scary! At least you now have an awesome pregnancy story to share! They are the best because the Lord really does protect his daughters who are striving to do their best to fulfill His commands. Hope the rest goes more smoothly!

LeBaron Family said...

Wow! I'm so glad that you are alright! That happened with my sister but it was her gallbladder. It was about ready to burst so they rushed her in the take it out. I'm sooo glad you are alright! I was thinking about you a lot last week!

DaNae said...

Holy cow! I am glad you and baby girl are doing okay. Take care of yourself. Ps you will LOVE having a little girl.

Matthew and Hillary said...

Oh my gosh! I've heard stories of pregnant women and appendicitis and how it's hard to figure it out 'cause things are moved around. I had appendicitis when I was four, so I'm glad I don't ever have to worry about that during pregnancy. I'm SO SO SO glad everything is ok and that Aaron insisted on taking you to the doctor! Thank goodness for modern medicine, eh? And a loving Heavenly Father. :) By the way, even though I always thought you were having a girl, I'm still confused that you're actually having a girl!

Andrea J said...

Oh Becky, I'm overwhelmed. I'm sorry that you had to experience all of that stress and am so glad that you were able to get the help you needed. Congrats on getting a lovely baby girl.

Meg said...

Oh my gosh Becky that is sooo scary! I'm glad you are doing well now and the baby is fine.

Enjoying Life . . . One day at a time! said...

I'm so happy the experience turned out the way it did! What a scary ordeal! I'm so relieved that you are all okay.

Meredith said...

Whoa! That is so crazy. Glad that you are recovering well. Take care of that little girl now! No more scares like that one!

Amy said...

We heard through the grapevine what was going on and are thrilled to know you came through with flying colors. We sure love your family and are grateful everything turned out well.

Shanna said...

I think you are amazing to have such a great outlook and turn to the Lord in such a trying time. You are such an example to me. Hope the recovery continues to go well. You ROCK!

Deann said...

Thank goodness for modern medicine and the knowledge of doctors! (in this case! My tune would be different depending on circumstances in another 5? months.. but that's another discussion) I've had (sort of) appendicitis and a laprascopic appendectomy and if you can get through that pain, labor is easy. :) Take it easy and feel better soon!

Angie said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry you had to go through all that... but I'm also grateful, as I'm sure you are, that the baby is okay. Pre term labor is such a scary thing! Those pesky apendicees!

Christiansen's said...

Wow, that is scary. I am glad that you guys are both okay.

QuinnerTheWinner and AnnieBannanie said...

Becky you are a trooper! I'm so glad to hear you and your daughter are safe... I love you!

Kristen Moss said...

wow. What an experience. I am glad that you and the baby are ok.

Crazy

Emily said...

What an ordeal! SO glad everything worked out in the end!

Tannie Datwyler said...

That is a crazy story!! I'm so glad that you are okay though.

Jessie said...

Oh Becky! I, like everyone else, am so glad you're ok--I have a friend who has an incompetent cervix, which means that around 20ish weeks, when the baby is heavy enough, she basically just goes into labor, because her cervix can't handle the pressure to stay closed. I thought for certain that was what you were going through--I'm SO glad it's not, and also so glad that they were able to figure out what was actually wrong, and fix it. This week has been a big "I'm thankful for medicine" week for us too--so glad they have the knowledge and technology to figure these things out and fix them. I hope you're doing well now, and are taking it easy. :)

The Judd Family said...

Holy cow Becky!!! I can't believe that! That is so scary. I would have been worried that something was wrong with my baby. I am so glad that you are doing well now. Take care of yourself.

Mandy Torgrimson said...

Wow! Appendacitis is one of Wesley's worst fears. I don't know if he would even be able to stomach that story. Glad all is well.

Sarah said...

Wow crazy! I'm glad you're ok. That is scary! But also a testimony booster when you feel the spirit and everything works out great. So, I don't understand what caused that to happen? I guess it was appendicitis then... is it just a random thing that can happen and it happened to be while you're pregnant?

Julie said...

So Crazy! Thanks for taking the time to write this up! I'm so glad everything is okay!

Jenn and Chris Rasmussen said...

I went in for the same problem when I was 6 mos but no surgery. Glad you are ok. When are you gonna post some pictures. I have only seen you as a skinny mini and I would love to see the prego belly.

Mike and Lisa said...

Hope you get feeling better! I know about incision pain. Try a C-section (or better yet, don't). So I feel your pain there. And think about this, the next time you have horrible abdominal pain you'll get a sweet beautiful baby girl at the end instead!

Lee and Marie said...

Ummm... HOLY CRAP! Becky - I'm SO glad you are okay. Thank goodness for modern medicine and the miracles it brings! So glad your husband got you to the doctor in time and that everything (for the most part) went smoothly and that you are okay. This was intense to read... at the beginning you should have stated that you and the baby are okay but here read this... :) You're amazing! I'm so excited for you guys!

WX Ences said...

I swear I'm always the last person to post on your comments...(last is best though, so I won't complain too much).

CRAZY!!!! How completely random. I'm VERY pleased to hear you are recovering and feeling better and that everything went as well as could be expected under the circumstances. You're seeing Macy right? I love her. Her nurses are pretty awesome to. Stephanie is super good (I don't know who you saw, but I'd have to say, after going there for the last 10 yrs, I've probably seen them all - and they rock).
I hate to say I told you so, but I did. I knew it would be a girl, after all, Max will need a super hot wife in another 20 some odd years. Prepare her well!
Love you and let me know if you need anything! I'm just at home doing laundry and cooking most of the day...every day. I could use a good excuse to get out of the house!

Angie Meyers said...

What a crazy experience!! I am glad you are feeling better and hope you are getting some well deserved rest!! Oh, and YAY for a girl!! I am so excited for you!

AllyPally said...

So you had your appendix removed right? I'm so happy your ok!! :)

Rachel said...

Wow, that is crazy. So glad you and baby are okay. And a girl (yay!) I was one of those 30% people.

Jason and Angela said...

I'm so glad everything turned out ok last week... what an experience, I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that but I'm so glad you and your little girl are ok!! You are definitely being watched over!!

Anna said...

How scary to go through that, especially while you're pregnant! Glad everything went well. And cute baby bump!