Monday, April 19, 2010

Project #2

I mentioned forever ago that I had "projects" I was working on. One of them is sewing. At my work, we sell fabrics and occasionally when they get discontinued I'll take the memo samples because I think they are a cool pattern. I've been collecting them for a few years and last fall decided it was time to get them all out and see what I could come up with. I made schemes for both boys and girls but worked on the boy ones first because I thought we would have a boy. After we found out we're having a girl, I quickly put those away and started the girl ones.

I thought it would be cool to make "floor quilts"... you know, quilts for the floor at church, home, or wherever. These aren't really blankets to snuggle to sleep with (in my opinion) but hopefully they'll be useful somehow!
Anywhere, here they are. I had four schemes pulled and had different layouts on each one. I thought it would be fun to try different ways of sewing with each one.

Here's a fuzzy one:


And here is a stripe-y one.

(Here's the back; I decided to try machine quilting and just did it along the lines from the front. I thought it turned out kinda cool.)

When I finish making the boy ones, I'll post them. But they're not on the list any time soon. :)

Also, our Relief Society cleaned out the closet and found some fabric to toss. I took it because I'm all about free fabric. (Obviously.) :) I made these burp cloths and did various stitching around the edges. Aaron did make a comment that he hopes we get some that are a bit more manly. :)


I am also making her a blanket that I hope she'll love and a doll. Hopefully they'll turn out and I'll post them.

21 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, Becky you are so crafty! Love it! There is one thing I am going to try to sew/make and that is a mobile... we will see how that goes!

Brenda said...

I love them all. They are sooooo cute! Your skills are impressive.

Gage said...

They are super cute. Your are quite talented. Fun!

Kristen Moss said...

UMMM.... fantastic.

Suz said...

Cute! We used to get discontinued fabrics through Wayne's store when the kids were young. I made them several pairs of wild shorts out of the more manly fabrics.

Christiansen's said...

Look at you Mrs. Crafter. Those burp clothes will sure come in handy. Way cute quilts too.

Melody said...

I love the quilts. I really love the fuzzy one.

The Judd Family said...

They look awesome!! Great job. I love projects!

Meredith said...

Way to go! The quilts and burp cloths look great. You should check out my friends craft blog- she has lots of great ideas for crafts for babies. http://aloadofcraft.blogspot.com/

Kristen Moss said...

Hey, I know exactly what happened. I have a lot of time at work so I pre-write a lot of posts so I can go back and post them later. Sometimes I post and delete them to see what they look like. And sometimes I accidentally hit post instead of save as a draft. I didn't realize that it was doing this to your feed. Sorry... I just really really want you to come look at my blog LOL!

JK.

Thanks for the comment. I am glad you told me because I didn't know it was happening, Now I feel like a dork. I wont do that anymore.

Kristen Moss said...

PS At first I thought you made cloth pads, but reading let me know that you made burp cloths. I thought it was a little hippy and out of character of you to make cloth pads. Not too mention your prego so you dont even need them at this point.

LOL!

Mandy Torgrimson said...

Great job on the creativity and frugality! You are amazing!!!

Kristen Moss said...

I figured out maybe another problem. When I post, I post it and then edit it and then post it again and then edit it some more. I am kind of a perfectionist. It is SUPER annoying but it is like an OCD kind of thing. Maybe that messes with the feed too. MAN I didn't know that it does that.

Did it say I posted this last one like five times?

These weird obsessions are supposed to be a secret, but now everyone knows. I dont like that.

Kristen Moss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

They look great! Way to go!

The Barlows said...

You are so talented! They turned out great! Those will come in handy!

Educating Evelyn said...

I love the floor blankets... they will be really useful, you'll see. Also... don't think I'm crazy, but when I first saw the burp cloths I thought they were homemade pads! It took me a second to fix that thought! =D

Meg said...

Way to go! I love the pink striped one.

Emily said...

I'm glad you explained that those were burp cloths... I was honestly clueless. :) And way to go with the sewing!

BTW - I think I spied some more awesome photo cropping. Who does that for you? They're a pro. ;D

Cami and Mitch said...

I love the idea of "floor blankets" I just used whatever blanket I happened to grab, but then you need to wash it before you can do anything else with it. Genius! :)

Jon and Erin said...

I love them! And who would want to turn down free fabric???