Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Moabites

We were able to spend Memorial Weekend with my family as Moabites!

We drove down Friday night. Saturday morning the boys left early-ish to go bike "slick rock". None of them wanted to take a camera therefore there are no pictures, but they all said it was really hard but really cool. We girls drove into Arches National Park and explored while they were out.
Here is Sheep Rock:

And the Windows:

And Balanced Rock:

We walked around Balanced Rock and saw a Sego Lily and large lizard who we named Spotty.


Alicia decided to carry the rock. She's buff.

We then decided to "hike" to Landscape Arch. It was about a mile walk and very do-able. Check out these beautiful cactus!


And here are all the girls minus my mom under Landscape Arch! An entire football field can fit under it!

We all met up back at the hotel (Aarchway Inn--HIGHLY recommend it) and some went swimming.... and had best-looking leg contests. :)

That afternoon the younger, more-able bunch hiked to Delicate Arch. I would have loved to do it again but there will always be a next time! Aaron took these pictures.



While they were climbing, the rest of us hiked to a viewpoint of Delicate Arch instead. We met back up after they finished and all went together to one of the Window Arches.

These are all views from the hike. This one is Double Arch... SO cool!






Sunday we went to church and even talked about the actual Moabites. How fitting. :)
After church we had a bbq at the hotel and then took off to see Canyonlands National Park.
We went to a few viewpoints including "Island in the Sky".







This is called "Upheaval Dome". It was so different from anything else we saw. They think either it was caused by a meteorite crash or some old salt sea earthquake. Or something like that. :)

I liked our last viewpoint best. It was fun to see the jeeping trails and watch the sun setting. It was so beautiful!





Monday morning the boys took another bike ride and we girls went around town. Our first stop was "Lin Ottinger's Rock Shop". This guy, in my opinion, is a bit weird. He was selling dinosaur gizzards for $10 and huge pieces of petrified wood for hundreds of dollars and chunks of a dinosaur bone for $1. I just wonder if he really has the legality to do that!? Or if any of it is real...
Just in case you're interested in saving your money for something special...
Or are in need of a neanderthal skull...
We also went to a local museum. Around noon we met up and packed everything up and started heading home. We did get stuck in quite a bit of traffic in the canyon but that meant we got to see this beautiful barn which makes us think of Anne of Green Gables. (We're all pretty into her right now...)
We had Brick Oven Pizza for dinner on our way home. Delish!

It was such a fun trip and a perfect getaway. I just love Utah and the uniqueness we have so close. Also, the weather was perfect and not too hot. And of course the company was the best!

20 comments:

Andrea J said...

That looks like a fantastic trip. I miss Moab and Southern Utah in general, it's so unique.

Matthew and Hillary said...

I've heard good things about those arches. Someday I'll make it down there. How come the dino bone is $1...makes you wonder. LOVE Anne of Green Gables!

Sarah said...

Looks like so much fun!! Beautiful pictures! I really want to go back to Moab. That pool looks so refreshing right now!

DaNae said...

wow, UT really is beautiful. And you look so cute pregnant lady!

Aloha_Misty said...

I heard the family went on a trip. Love the pics they are so beautiful! That is one of my favorite places on earth. You are also one of the hottest little mommies in the world :) BTW Greg does write Jacob's initials as j.w. when he is blogging. I am not fond of the initials together...it better not stick as a nickname!

Gage said...

looks like fun. You look so cute pregnant.

Lee and Marie said...

You are SO cute Becky! You look darling and I can't wait to see pictures of your little girl! I'm so excited for you! How are you feeling? How much longer girl? I updated my blog again - today - yes that is right :)
Loves <3

Julie said...

Looks so fun! I love Anne's barn. And I love that you are into Anne of Green Gables right now. I am too. I'm so sad the series had to end. I just miss my good old friend! Anyway, so glad you guys had a good time!

The Williamsons said...

Looks like a fun trip. Beautiful pictures!! And what a cute pregnant lady you are! :)

The Judd Family said...

What a fun trip!! I love Arches! It looked like such a blast.

Gary and Alycia said...

What a fun trip!!! You are such a cute pregnant lady. Your tummy looks so much lower than mine, you will probably have yours first!!

Mike and Lisa said...

Love Moab! Makes me want to go down there to get some sun, our spring has been so yucky! You're looking good! Not to much longer!?

Emily said...

Awesome pics! I really like the one of your whole family, but I wish Daniel (at least I think it's Daniel... I can never keep your brothers straight...) were smiling!

Rachel said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Love the red rock. Makes me miss Utah.

Mary said...

Great pics! You are looking fabulous by the way! Bless your pregnant soul for enduring the adventure and the heat which is Moab!

Deann said...

"not for sale, except cash" ROFL that is great! What a fun time. That sunset picture with the rock silhouette is awesome.

Angie said...

Looks like you had a great trip! But one question...

When have you NOT been into Anne of Green Gables???

Enjoying Life . . . One day at a time! said...

looks like so much fun! You look like you're doing great! Are you ready for the baby?

Bethanie said...

So Fun! I love Moab!

Mandy Torgrimson said...

Thanks for thinking of me when the song "Mandy" comes on. That makes me feel special! My roommates used to sing it to me when I'd walk in the door, so when I hear it I think of them...anyway, it's always nice to get your comments on our blog. And I just want you to know that we are keeping tabs on you two as well. We will have to get together sometime before we leave for England.