Friday, June 11, 2010

Proj 2 Continued: More Sewing

Adding on to my other sewing post, here are a couple other things I've been working on.

In the past monthish we have been been incredibly blessed with hand-me-downs! My cousin gave us this bassinet.

Really there was nothing wrong with it, but I have this weird thing that makes me want to make hand-me-downs "ours". For most items all it takes if for me to give it a good washing and we're good, but for this one I wanted to change it a little bit more than that. I used the original fabric as my pattern and made this cover.

I like it. It's plain and gender neutral. And animals. This seems to have been the pregnancy of the animals... I am really into them! I had just enough fabric to make a sheet too. The fabric was just too perfect--the animals are both ways so the fabric is upside down and right side up everywhere!


I also mentioned that I wanted to make a doll. I got an email from "You Can Make This" and saw this doll on it.

And I thought to myself, "yes, I can make this!" I drew a picture on a post-it and went home and made my own pattern and made one. (It was a longer process than that, but it's all good!)
Here is what mine looks like.

I think she's pretty cute and she is 100% scraps I already had.
So that's my sewing update for the day. And no, I'm not done sewing. :) I almost finished a car seat cover last night and I am still working on a blanket and also a changing pad. Sewing = nesting = :)

23 comments:

Aloha_Misty said...

Good for you Becky! I love the fabric you used on the bassinet. It matches Jacob's room and sheets :) Your doll turned out really cute!

Matthew and Hillary said...

Nesting is fun, huh? Love the doll!

Matthew and Hillary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~ said...

VERY CUTE!

The Judd Family said...

Awesome job! I have been occupied with sewing projects as well. It is a lot of fun!

Andrea J said...

Nice work, the cover you made looks really tailored.

Enjoying Life . . . One day at a time! said...

i like the new background! sewing projects are so fun, i'm glad you're getting so much done now b/c its hard once they get here! The fabric you chose is soooo cute! and the doll is adorable! you are so very creative!

Mandy Torgrimson said...

You are doing an amazing job with all of the sewing projects! The new bassinet cover is so much better than the original!

Sarah said...

Nice work! I love the animal pattern too. You are much better than me... I still haven't started my ONE sewing project that I want to do. No time!!

And I doubt I am twice your size. From what Grandma says we look about the same, so I may have just caught up to you! :)

BECKY said...

Sarah-- I said that I was twice your size, not you twice my size!!!

Cami and Mitch said...

Becky! I love your new blog background. Also..awesome sewing projects!

Gary and Alycia said...

Wow look at you go!!! I am very impressed. And you said you are having a hard time making it through your list. You are definitely doing much more than I. What a good mommy you are!

Meg said...

I love the new bassinet cover and the little doll is sooo cute. I love that you have the skills to "make things yours". Awesome!

Tannie Datwyler said...

You are so crafty Becky! That doll is ADORABLE.

Tannie Datwyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike and Lisa said...

I love the fabric choice! Soooo cute! Funny how you find your nitch with themes and decorating when you're pregnant. For me, it was dots and circles. Oh and aren't hand me downs awesome?!

Brenda said...

That bassinet cover is so dang cute! I wish I had your talent. I thing your doll is adorable too. Good job!!!!!

slybbert said...

Such fun projects! I love the doll. Your baby will cherish it. I want to see a pic of your carseat cover when you finish it. I expect it to have animals on the fabric!!!

Jessie said...

Love it! Seriously, I just love it all. :)

Deann said...

that is the cutest fabric on the bassinet cover!! You did an awesome job! Careful with the car seat covers.. they void warranties, not crash tested, not flame proof, insurance won't replace car seat if in a crash, LMK if you want the details on which kinds are safe and which are not!

Emily said...

The example doll is SCARY. Thank you for making yours much less frightening!!

danielandjamaica said...

Hope you get this comment... I'm Jennifer's(Frahm/Lindell) sister and I have that EXACT same bassinet! It was even a hand-me-down! But I do NOT have a cute cover for it. Email me and lets talk about a butcher paper pattern or something! I LOVE what you came up with! p.s. I had to put a pillow in the bottom of one end to get our baby mya at a heads up angle so she wouldn't spit up at night... you'll see! Anyway, this bassinet was perfect for that though!

JDELL'S said...

TOTALLY love your doll! Please send me your pattern!! :) Seriously we are crafting it up big time this summer! I will put some of it on my blog by next week! LOVE YOU JEN