Monday, July 12, 2010

Eliza

A week ago tonight our lives changed! Our first child came to earth.


If you are interested in the birth story, keep reading. If not, just know that we had our baby. :)

Last Sunday Aaron and I walked quite a few miles hoping it would get labor going. Monday morning about 5 am I woke up feeling different and after a few minutes realized I was having contractions. I was thrilled that my body had gone into labor on its own and also anxious knowing that this meant that I had to birth the baby! Around 11 I called the hospital to pre-register and told them that I was in very early labor and wouldn't come in until I couldn't walk or talk through contractions because I had previously decided that I wanted to do everything in my power to have an unmedicated birth. A few minutes later, my doctor called me and asked what was going on. I told her and she told me to go walk for an hour and then come up the hospital to be checked. We had lunch and then took off on the walk. After a few minutes of walking, we decided we should just walk to the hospital since we assumed it would take about that long. So we did! We got there and they said I was at a 3+. They had to monitor me in another hour so Aaron and I walked around the Labor and Delivery floor for an hour. They checked again and I was same. They asked what we wanted to do and I said we wanted to go home and labor there. My doctor didn't agree and came in and told me that I could be in early labor for days and asked suggested she strip my membranes to see if it would speed things up. We agreed and soon I was at a 5+, and then after another two or so hours of walking around the floor, was at the same. We were given a couple of choices and decided breaking my water was the best idea. At this point (5:00) we were admitted so Aaron called a friend from the ward to pick him up and take him home to get our stuff since we had walked there not expecting to stay! Luckily we had everything pretty pre-packed so he was able to get back quickly. My doctor broke my water and the contractions came harder almost immediately. Laying in the bed was the most uncomfortable and made me really nervous so I asked to continue to walk. Soon I couldn't walk during the contractions anymore and had to put my arms around Aaron's neck and sway back and forth breathing as hard as I could. I was getting to the point where I didn't know how much longer I could make it when I noticed that I felt like I had to push to make it through parts of the contractions. I mentioned it to the doctor. She was a bit surprised and checked me and I was at a 9.5! I had never heard better words in my life! I had almost made it! They told me to turn on my side and that they thought one more contraction would complete me. It did. They had me push when I felt like pushing (10:30). It was the hardest physical labor I've ever performed in my life and at times incredibly painful, but I knew there was nothing else I could do. After over an hour her head came out. I had no idea we were that close. It was thrilling and so relieving to feel her come out. She was born at 11:40 pm on her due date July 5, and weighed 7 lbs and 10 ounces and was 20.5 inches long. They put her directly on me and let me hold her for quite a few minutes. She screamed for about the first two hours of her life. When Aaron got to hold her he looked back and forth from her to me and said, “Holy cow, she looks like me.” A couple hours later when we were taken to postpartum, we just kept staring at her and saying over and over that we couldn't believe we had done it. I feel so blessed that Heavenly Father allowed me to have the birth experience I had wanted and prepared for. I am also incredibly grateful for the hospital staff and my doctor who were 100% supportive of me and never tried to talk me out of an unmedicated birth.


We named her Eliza Rachel. Eliza because we think it is beautiful and has ties to pioneers and Nauvoo. And Rachel in memory of my grandpa who passed away two months ago. His grandmother was named Rachel.

This past week has been wonderful. Tiring, of course, but wonderful. Aaron took the week off of work so we have been together 24-7. The baby was not getting enough food from me so we have had to use supplemental nursing. Aaron helped with each feeding and we felt it was a special bonding time for us.

It's been a fabulous week and we've just tried to soak in every minute. We are on Cloud Nine with our little doll who we get to dress up and bathe and show off. She is incredibly beautiful and we can barely take our eyes off of her.

We are so blessed.

37 comments:

Phillip and Maggi said...

Becky she is PERFECT! I am so very proud of you for going all natural, that makes you a super hero in my book! Good luck with the next few weeks and continue to soak it in and take good care of yourself! Again congratulations on a beautiful girl (she looks a lot like her mom :)

Melody said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad that things worked so well. So is beautiful. Enjoy your time with her and don't forget to stop staring at her and get some sleep:)

Sarah W. said...

Congratulations! She is so very pretty! She sure has a great mom!!!

Jessie said...

Great work, Becky--she's so beautiful! And I'm so glad you got to labor the way you wanted to--you are amazing! Isn't the whole process just incredible? We are so blessed, indeed.

Julie said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad that everything went how you wanted it too! She is a little beauty, I can't wait to meet her! By the way, I have some ideas on increasing milk supply if you are interested--they had me doing all kinds of stuff with the boys. Call me if you're interested! I hope she starts sleeping very soon!

Mike and Lisa said...

You are a CHAMP! I seriously was dying through my contractions and got an epidural when I was a 4+. Any woman who can do it non-medicated is just made to birth babies! (Me NOT being one of them since I couldn't even get him out!)

Tannie Datwyler said...

There is nothing quite like the first baby! She is beautiful - and you are amazing - way to go!!

*Aliese* said...

Way to go, friend!! I love the name Eliza; SO CUTE! I'm glad it has special meaning for you guys. The last photo of her in the red, floral dress is super sweet. Congratulations!

HillsRus said...

She is just gorgeous! Congratulations!

-The Hills

The Williamsons said...

Congrats, Becky!! She is a doll!! I'm so excited for you. :)

Meredith said...

You are amazing. She is amazing. What a wonderful gift. She sure is lucky to have you and Aaron as parents.

Angie Meyers said...

Wow!! You are a super woman!! I am glad that you were able to have the experience that you wanted!

Being a parent is the most amazing thing!! For me I always thought that I knew what love was, but I didn't really know until I became a mother!!

Little Eliza is so precious...enjoy every minute, even the 2am and 4 am moment. :) They do go by so quickly!!

Congratulations!! <3

Matthew and Hillary said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WALKED TO THE HOSPITAL!!! I don't think I know many women who can say that, let alone having an unmedicated birth! You make it all sound easy! She does look a lot like Aaron. Hope things work out with the milk supply. Congrats you guys! I'm so happy for you. :)

DaNae said...

She is amazing and so tiny! I love everything about her, including her beautiful name! Enjoy this special time, it goes by too quickly.

Gage said...

Yeah! Congratulations. I am so happy for you. She is beautiful. I love the red dress with flowers on it. She is super adorable. Congrats.

Kristen Moss said...

That is a PERFECT birth story. I am amazed. It seriously couldn't have gone any better. She is perfect.

I am sooooo impressed with you. Good job mamma.

You are SOO blessed. Congrats.

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~ said...

CONGRATS! I am SO happy for you!

QuinnerTheWinner and AnnieBannanie said...

I am so happy for you Becky and Aaron! Congratulations on your beautiful little girl:-) What a wonderful story- haha I love that you walked to the hospital:-)

Good work little family!

The Judd Family said...

I sit here reading your story and I almost start crying. What an incredible story. Congratulations! I am so excited for you 2! You did and amazing job! I have been thinking about you for the past week wondering if your baby had come. I'm so glad that everything went well. She is absolutely beautiful and Becky you are such a trooper. Congrats again and enjoy this time.

Angela & Jason said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Reading your story has given me hope because I've been kind of anxious about that whole aspect of it for the last couple weeks. I'm at 30+ weeks now and trying to decide if I want to go natural or not... you've given me hope so I might have to try it :) I'm SO SO happy for you guys!! Way to go, she's beautiful!!

Aloha_Misty said...

Wow Becky! Your amazing and your baby is just beautiful! Wish I could come and give her a hug!

Amy said...

This is such a beautiful post! Congrats, Hamilton Fam! You all look great and sound great!! Love you guys so much!

Meredith said...

Congratulations! She is just beautiful. Cherish every moment because it will go by faster than you know!

Christiansen's said...

Oh I love hearing and reading about birthing stories. I am SO GLAD you went unmedicated. I have done that with both of mine as well and it seriously is the best (in my opinion) when reading that I was actually wishing that was me in your position, I just love being in labor with all the excitement. Congrats I can already tell you are a fabulous mom.

Chanelle said...

Way to go on the natural birth! Glad that all worked out and now get to experience the precious moments of having a newborn. Congrats!

LeBaron Family said...

Congrats and you are my hero! I want to do the next on unmedicated! (when that time arrives).
I'm soooooo happy for you! Soak it all up because they grow up so fast! I can't believe that my baby is 8 months!

Angie said...

She is such a doll, you guys! Lucky you!!!

Deann said...

Congrats again! You guys did awesome, and Becky, way to go! I am proud of you for educating yourself and doing what you wanted. She's adorable, enjoy!!

Bethanie said...

Congrats! She is so cute! They grow up so fast so enjoy every second! (even at 2 in the morning :)

Angie said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you guys! Isn't parenthood just a whole new thing? Good-bye sleep! Hello tiny little offspring! She's gorgeous.

PS. That birthing story was hardly graphic enough, but I'm glad things went according to plan. Congrats!

Angie said...

PPS. You have a lot of riends named Angie. Who knew!

PPPS. Love the pioneerish Elizaness going on! Jealous!

Rachel said...

Congratulations. She is beautiful, and you are Wonder Woman for doing the birth sans medication. Hope you are getting some rest.

Mandy Torgrimson said...

How sweet is she! I'm so glad that all is well, and I love the name choice!

JDELL'S said...

Becky, BAQUSHEESH! That's all I have to say! I can't believe you had a baby and didn't need drugs! Another point and fact that you are in every way stronger than I am. She is amazing and the whole story including her name and you and Aaron in Nauvoo it's all perfect. I love it. You look SO good too and Eliza looks like you as well!!! Good job mamma Ham!

slybbert said...

Yay for strong moms! She is beautiful. Good work on the delivery. You are amazing! Can't wait to meet your beautiful baby. Get all the rest you can, you may not get a great sleep for another 20 years or so, jk.

Evelyn said...

I am so glad everything went well and your efforts to go unmedicated were successful! Isn't it amazing?? She's a sweetie, we're sooo happy for you!

Emily said...

Oh Becky she is just beautiful! What a little doll, congratulations!