Monday, May 9, 2011

My First Mother's Day

Yesterday was my first Mother's Day. Aaron and Eliza sent me on a treasure hunt to find some Snicker's ice cream. We also had dinner with my family and skyped with Aaron's family and with my missionary brother. So it was a good day!
I feel so lucky to be a mom. I received an email forward last week that made me teary eyed because of it's truth. I cut out the parts that I liked best.

Before I was a mom, I never tripped over toys and I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous. I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests. Or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep. I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put her down. I never felt my heat break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy. I had never gotten up every 1o minutes to make sure all was okay. I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment, or the satisfaction of being a mom. I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much. But that was before I was a mom.

6 comments:

The Williamsons said...

I'm glad you had a great first Mother's Day!! :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

Happy Mother's Day Becky! It really is the best.

The Hamblin's said...

It was my first as well :) what a special day!! Thanks for sharing that! Will you e-mail it to me if you get a chance? Glad you had such a great day!!

Matthew and Hillary said...

Happy 1st Mother's Day! I love that paragraph. Thanks for sharing!

The Hamblin's said...

Thanks for that :)

WX Ences said...

Awwww...it's great to be a mom! P.S. I just noticed that your under-aged daughter was drinking and driving in the top pic of your last post...you really should caution her against that. ;)