Thursday, July 28, 2011

Project: Eliza's Presents

For Eliza's birthday I decided to give her some homemade gifts.  I love reading the blogs with great ideas and I love making things myself so it turned out great.  :)

Gift 1: Beanbag Letters
I made her first and last name.
Here she is playing with them when I first gave them to her.
She likes to pull them out of the bucket one by one and toss them behind her.  Pretty awesome.

Gift 2: Church Books
I bought two of the Gospel Art books from the LDS Distribution Center and then some 'brag book photo albums' from Walmart for $1.  I cut out each picture and put them in the book.  Since Eliza LOVES flipping pages, I thought this would be a hit.  Plus that, I like that I can point out things in pictures in church that have to deal with churchy stuff. :)

Gift 3: Her Baby Blanket
The baby blanket was supposed to be ready for her, oh you know, when she was born... obviously it wasn't.  I had never appliqued and there are some definite errors, but I think it turned out pretty cute.  For the animals, I googled something like 'nursery animals', looked at the images and sketched the ones I liked and then made a pattern for them.
The front was finished before she was born and I bought the backing and the binding the Saturday night before I went into labor Monday morning.  When I bought the fabric, I assumed she would come late so I thought I would have at least a couple of days before she was born to work on it to keep me busy.  Not so!  Yay for babies coming!  So Monday morning as I'm in labor I washed, dried, and ironed the backing and binding just trying to keep my mind off things.  I took this picture of the wrong side of the front because I thought it looked fun.  :)  Who knew we'd have her in our arms late that night?!
 I still wasn't quite sure how I wanted to bind it and then I had her and things got a little busy.  I had the blanket in the back of my mind for months but never could figure a good way to quilt it.  As a year started to approach I decided it was time to buck up and finish it.  I decided to quilt around the animals and then quilt straight lines across it.  I made a goal to finish it for her birthday and I finished binding it two days before.  The back is a green vine print.  I actually don't really like the way I bound it.  So if you have ideas of how to make it cuter, let me know. 
I'm not quite sure what to do with it since she really doesn't use blankets, so I hung it on her wall for now.  As you can tell, she was thrilled to be in the picture.  :)
 I'm so grateful I've been given the talent to create.  I love making things.

13 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Way cute ideas!

Jessie said...

Love the letters, and the blanket is adorable. I like it as a decoration, too. :)

I need to make some sunday books so that all of my girls can have their own and stop fighting over things at church... maybe the ones you made will go onto my list. Very cute, and easy enough that I just might do it.

Adventures of the Barfuss family said...

Cute ideas. I made our kids books like that and they like to look at them during sacrament. Jonathan flips through each page and says Esus (Jesus)Its too cute and I love that they know who he is! good idea on making your gifts.

Andrea J said...

Looks like she loves your presents, may that always be the case!

Michelle said...

these are all awesome! love the letters especially. ideas noted!

"DRAW NEARER TO HEAVEN IN 2011" said...

You are soooo creative! I think the animals turned out adorable and I'm totally going to make the bean bags and church books for ryder. He will LOVE them! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

The Williamsons said...

Cute gifts!

Emily said...

love love love the beanbag names!!!

Matthew and Hillary said...

Wow, so crafty! I'm thinking about doing the letters. That blanket is so cool! And you look amazing, as usual!

The Hamblin's said...

You are so talented :) such fun ideas! I love the half-naked baby in the bottom pic :) she is such a cutie! And so lucky to have such a crafty mom!!

Spencer and Emily said...

Way cute! We are living in Sandy now. I would love to get together with you one of these days.

Sarah Weeks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Terra Patrick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.